Nether Hub Redesign April 2016 Plan
Starting out with a rough outline...
Link for reference: Radical Nether Hub Redesign Proposal April 2016
When working on this project feel free to raid the box(es) marked "Nether Hub donations" and "Nether Hub only, do not take!" in the old nether hub.
Move things to the "done" section at the end as they are completed.
Cosmetic stuff in the new nether hub room
Make a final decision on the colours we'll use for the archways. The current colours are not final and may be subject to change. We were undecided in the group about which colours we should use, and so here I am using the colours that are in the mock-up.
Getting the tunnels started
Anyone who likes a lot of digging can dig and/or pave these tunnels.
- Paving is builders' and residents' choice.
- Lengths of road we need are:
- North: 200 blocks, ie: to x=0, z=-200. Done!
- South: 900 blocks, ie: to x=0, z=900. Done!
- East: 200 blocks, ie: to x=200, z=0. Done!
- West: 500 blocks, ie: to x=-500, z=0.
- North-east: to x=200, z=-200.
- South-east: to x=300, z=300.
- South-west: to x=-400, z=400.
- North-west: to x=-250, z=-250.
Connecting up everyone's portals
Using Jay's spreadsheet and the co-ordinates of your topside or netherside portal, feel free to add or move a portal to the new lower network.
- If you haven't already, build your topside portal and light it. Do not walk through.
- Stand right next to it and make a note of your x and z co-ordinates.
- Go to Jay's spreadsheet.
- File > Make a copy.
- A note on Jay's spreadsheet: There may be bugs. Double-check against the Dynmap that your portal is closest to the road that the spreadsheet tells you. Divide your topside portal co-ordinates by 8 to find your nether portal co-ordinates, and check them against the spreadsheet. Report bugs to Jazzable.
- Answer the question "what information do you already have?" by telling it whether you have your topside or netherside portal co-ordinates.
- Select "I'm digging from the main road to my portal".
- Enter your co-ordinates. The spreadsheet will tell you which colour road to walk down.
- In Minecraft, make it show the debug screen so you can see your avatar's co-ordinates.
- On a Mac that's Fn+F3 on your keyboard.
- Head to the new y=8.5 nether hub.
- Walk down the road of the colour the spreadsheet told you, and stop walking when you get to the co-ordinates that the spreadsheet calls "Start at these co-ordinates on the road:"
- Dig in the direction it tells you. Make your path 2 blocks wide and 4 blocks high, and then pave it with the slab of your choice. This will prevent mob spawns and allow horses to be ridden down the road, with minimal digging.
- If you already have your portal built at y=8 netherside, you should run into it.
- If you haven't already built your netherside portal, stop digging when you get to the co-ordinates that the spreadsheet calls "Your nether-side portal needs to be at:"
- Build your portal, light it, and step through. You should end up at your topside portal.
- When you head back through to the Nether, you might end up at your old portal in the old nether network at y=13.5. It's safe to dismantle your old portal now.
- If you end up at an unexpected or unfamiliar portal, make a note of your x y z co-ordinates and any signs and landmarks in the area, and then ask for help in the Telegram Chatter group or on this page's talk page.
- Awan's base portal (south/blue)
- Northville/Cassolotl's village (north/red)
Cut and paste tasks over to this section when they're done, and feel free to sign with four tildes if you want.
Dig down from a point near x=0, z=0 in the current Nether Hub, down to y=8. (It should only be 5 blocks down.)
- -- Jazzable and Cassolotl
Dig to Zero Zero. Mark the spot 0, 0 and dig a room 20 blocks in all directions centred on 0, 0 - so 40 x 40 total. Make it 4 blocks high. (The final room will be taller, but if we dig that high now we'll lose the floor of the old hub!)
- -- Jazzable and Cassolotl
Pave the entire 40 x 40 room with smooth stone slabs.
- -- Cassolotl
Get some crafting tables and ovens up in here for convenience somehow.
After all eight tunnels have been marked out, use wool to mark each archway as in the mock-up. The top two corners of each archway are sea lanterns. There's some wool in the box in the middle of the old hub.
- North: red
- North-east: orange
- East: yellow
- South-east: green
- South: blue
- South-west: dark blue
- West: purple
- North-west: grey
Once the archways are in place, replace as much of the walls as possible with quartz blocks, floor to ceiling. Take quartz from the old nether hub walls, and when you run out, start using snow and/or white wool blocks.
Dig out 10 blocks or so of each of the 8 paths and label them with direction signs.
- North, South, East and West are centred on the relevant 0 co-ordinate, and each are 4 blocks wide.
- For the diagonal roads, copy the mock-up design (picture to the right).
Replace the wool frame of the Zero Zero nether portal using 10 obsidian blocks. Done!
Replace the wool frame of the Spawn Island portal using 10 obsidian blocks. Done!