Talk:How to wiki
How to Talk Page!
Introduction by initiating person. What does anyone else think??
The purpose of this page seems a bit vague and all over the place. I'm suspecting it should be divided into multiple different pages - e.g.:
- How-to guides for wiki-ing generally (although this may not be necessary at all because there are already help pages)
- Ettiquette for the wiki (i.e. about not editing people's comments)
- Style guide for the wiki (i.e. about capitalisation)
Anyone got thoughts?
- Yeah, I figured it would be expanded and split off into more detailed subpages as it grew and got better, but while it's just a collection of loosely related thoughts it seemed better to put them all on one page so it's easier to read the stuff we've established so far. I think if we're going to split it off, it should be made much more epic first. Does that make sense? (Edit: perhaps one day "How to wiki" will be a category filled with relevant pages.)
Wiki tutorial stuff
There are some things that I think shouldn't be on this page at all. Basic information about how to use wikis generally, seems irrelevant - it's all covered in much more detail on the general mediawiki help, which is prominently accessible from the sidebar. Things I want to remove:
- "General editing" section - it doesn't even really contain any information so it seems unnecessary.
- "Adding pictures" section - it seems arbitrary, why is one little nugget of information about uploading relevant enough to go on this page, but the rest isn't?
- "Talk pages" main section - although the etiquette part should stay because that's more specific to this particular wiki.
Anyone have any strong objections to me removing those parts?
I don't have any objection but I will say that I put the adding pictures section there for easy reference. It might be that no one needs it. Ideally what I'd like is a thing on each image's page that gives you a copy-paste easy-insert code for adding the picture to a wiki page, but I can't find a way to do that yet, and from what I've found it's not possible. So at some point I might put it on an "easy reference" page at some point. These are my feelings and plans. :)
I guess if you're going to remove the pictures section, can you just put it on my talk page instead? :D
- I see what you mean. I'll copy the pictures section onto your talk page for now and it might be that a shortcuts/quick reference page becomes useful at some point. :)
I think the page name should be change to something clearer and more specific. Suggestion: "This Land Wiki Guidelines". Any other ideas?
- My first thought is, we don't need to specify "This Land" - which other wiki could we be referring to? So that shortens the title. And my second thought is, since it's not a proper noun, small g. So that means: "Wiki guidelines".
- As a result of this, I will put it on the page as a moverequest template, and people might come here to discuss it more!
Style guide for second/third person
Should there be something about when to use second and third person? My instinct would be "always use third person except for in Category:Tutorial pages".