Talk:How to wiki
How to Talk Page!
Introduction by initiating person. What does anyone else think??
The purpose of this page seems a bit vague and all over the place. I'm suspecting it should be divided into multiple different pages - e.g.:
- How-to guides for wiki-ing generally (although this may not be necessary at all because there are already help pages)
- Ettiquette for the wiki (i.e. about not editing people's comments)
- Style guide for the wiki (i.e. about capitalisation)
Anyone got thoughts?
- Yeah, I figured it would be expanded and split off into more detailed subpages as it grew and got better, but while it's just a collection of loosely related thoughts it seemed better to put them all on one page so it's easier to read the stuff we've established so far. I think if we're going to split it off, it should be made much more epic first. Does that make sense? (Edit: perhaps one day "How to wiki" will be a category filled with relevant pages.)
Wiki tutorial stuff
There are some things that I think shouldn't be on this page at all. Basic information about how to use wikis generally, seems irrelevant - it's all covered in much more detail on the general mediawiki help, which is prominently accessible from the sidebar. Things I want to remove:
- "General editing" section - it doesn't even really contain any information so it seems unnecessary.
- "Adding pictures" section - it seems arbitrary, why is one little nugget of information about uploading relevant enough to go on this page, but the rest isn't?
- "Talk pages" main section - although the etiquette part should stay because that's more specific to this particular wiki.
Anyone have any strong objections to me removing those parts?
I don't have any objection but I will say that I put the adding pictures section there for easy reference. It might be that no one needs it. Ideally what I'd like is a thing on each image's page that gives you a copy-paste easy-insert code for adding the picture to a wiki page, but I can't find a way to do that yet, and from what I've found it's not possible. So at some point I might put it on an "easy reference" page at some point. These are my feelings and plans. :)
I guess if you're going to remove the pictures section, can you just put it on my talk page instead? :D
- I see what you mean. I'll copy the pictures section onto your talk page for now and it might be that a shortcuts/quick reference page becomes useful at some point. :)
I think the page name should be change to something clearer and more specific. Suggestion: "This Land Wiki Guidelines". Any other ideas?
- My first thought is, we don't need to specify "This Land" - which other wiki could we be referring to? So that shortens the title. And my second thought is, since it's not a proper noun, small g. So that means: "Wiki guidelines".
- As a result of this, I will put it on the page as a moverequest template, and people might come here to discuss it more!
- Oh, I've had new thoughts. The reason I originally suggested putting "This Land" in the page name is because these are guidelines specifically for this wiki. Whereas just naming it "Wiki guidelines" might seem like they are guidelines just about wikiing in general. So, I propose the name "Guidelines for this wiki". It's a bit longer, but it's a tutorial page anyway so a more detailed/descriptive name is maybe okay?
Style guide for second/third person
Should there be something about when to use second and third person? My instinct would be "always use third person except for in Category:Tutorial pages".